Nobody likes cleaning. Unless you’re Monica from Friends, the chances are the thought of scrubbing your appliance until it’s spotless won’t fill you with joy. And cleaning is never going to be fun. But here at Microwave-Reviews.com, we can make it easy!
In this article, we’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions about cleaning a microwave and compiled some of the top tips and hacks you can use to make cleaning your microwave quick and hassle-free. So you’ll have more time to do the things that you really enjoy.
What is the best way to clean inside a microwave?
There’s no single answer. Lots of people find a variety of different methods work best for their individual needs. So when it comes to cleaning a microwave, there are loads of different microwave cleaning hacks and tips you can use. Read on and find the best method to suit you.
How do you clean a microwave with vinegar?
- Pour around 200 mls of white vinegar into a large microwavable bowl. Add 200 mls of water so that the vinegar and water are together in the bowl. (Top Tip: for smaller microwaves, use smaller quantities, and for larger microwaves use bigger quantities. As long as you use equal parts vinegar and water, this microwave cleaning hack will work brilliantly!)
- Place the bowl into your microwave and heat for 4-8 minutes. The more powerful your microwave, the less time you’ll need to heat the mixture for. For a standard 800-watt microwave, we’d recommend heating the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Once you have finished heating the mixture, carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and dispose of the mixture down your kitchen sink or in a toilet.
- Take a microfibre cloth and wipe the interior of your microwave. You’ll find stains will come right off, as the vinegary steam will have loosened the dirt inside your microwave.
- Relax! You’re all done! It really is that easy. The loosened dirt will take you just a couple of minutes to wipe off (depending on how dirty your microwave is, of course!) Now your microwave will be spotless.
How do you clean a microwave without vinegar or lemon?
- Take a bunch of paper towels or sheets of kitchen roll. Fold each towel in half and pile them one on top of the other. About ten sheets or towels is ideal.
- Run the bunch of paper towels under a cold tap until the bunch is soaking wet.
- Place the bunch of wet paper towels into your microwave and run it on full power for 3-5 minutes (like with the previous method, the more powerful your microwave, the less time you’ll need to run it for).
- Once the microwave has finished running, open the door and leave the wet towels to cool inside the microwave over.
- Once the towels are cool enough to handle, you can use them to effortlessly wipe clean the inside of your microwave. The steam will have loosened grime and food spatters inside the microwave, so they will now wipe off quickly and easily.
How to clean grease out of microwave
- Combine baking soda and cold tap water in a mixing bowl. The mixture should be thick enough to form a thick, spreadable paste. We usually find that 3 parts baking soda to 2 parts water is perfect, but you’ll find results vary with this microwave cleaning hack depending on the baking soda that you use. The paste should be about the consistency of toothpaste, so keep mixing and adding more soda or water until you get something similar.
- Apply the paste to the individual grease stains in your microwave. You can do this using the back of a tablespoon. Lay the paste on thick until the stain is completely covered.
- Close your microwave door and leave the paste for around 10 minutes. This should be enough time for its cleaning properties to get to work and help make your microwave spotless. Do not turn the microwave on – this will make the baking soda fizz and explode!
- Take a wet cloth or paper towel and wipe away all of the baking soda paste from your microwave oven. You should find that grease will lift completely away with minimal effort.